Friday, June 12, 2009

Medical Update

So yesterday was the long-awaited day. As I posted before, Annabelle's feet had some significant healing issues a few weeks back when they took her out of casts so she could be molded for AFO's.

We were both eager and apprehensive to have the casts removed for good and so was the Orthodist - yes, that's right - we now have a new medical discipline added to the mix - Orthodics.

The surgeon wanted us to just go to the orthodist where she would remove the casts, fit the AFO's and cast Annie for her soft body jacket. When the Orthodist called to say the AFO's were ready, I reminded her of our situation . . . after some brainstorming, head-butting and a few phone calls, we decided to meet up at the club foot clinic where the surgeon would remove the casts then examine and bandage the feet. The Orthodist would meet us there, fit the AFO's and then we would head to her office for the jacket casting.

It worked out well as we are always glad to see "Dr Doug" the surgeon and his assistant, Laura.

If full healing is a 10 and Annie's feet last time were a 0 - I would say that we are at about 4 1/2. Both the wife and I were relieved to see that there had been some good healing over the past few weeks. The doc showed us how to bandage up the wounds and instructed us to change out the bandages at least once a day.


Annie got fitted for her AFO's which are just about the cutest piece of medical equipment you would ever "want" your child to have. They remind me of wonder-women boots.

Since the casts were off and the bandages and boots on, I told the wife that I would head back to the office and let her handle the jacket-casting herself . . . . "Unless you feel strongly . . ." I added . . .

I went to the next appointment.

And glad I did.

If you recall, Annie has a curvature in her spine that is causing her to slump forward. This is a photo I took of the xray on the doc's computer screen.

For all sorts of reasons (some less obvious than others) it is important that we get Annie to sit up as straight as possible and the body jacket should help her do that.

First off, they placed a double layer of casting socks over Annie like a little dress . . . .

Then measurements . . .

Then more measurements . . . .

And more measurements . . .

Annie squealed in delight through the whole thing - I think she thought she was being measured for a tailor-made dress.

Then the not-so fun part - the casting. We tried fiberglass at first but it just didn't work - so the Ortho reverted to tried and true plaster. She made a casting of Annie's front and then we turned her over and made a casting of her back.



Little Annie had enough and began to go into full-on melt-down mode - there was nothing to be done but pin her arms and let her cry until the plaster was hard enough to remove . . . not fun . . .

We headed home and last night got to give Annabelle her first legit bath since the beginning of April.

It is so great to have her out of those heavy clunky casts. The wound care is difficult but we have been down that road before.

We go back to the surgeon in two weeks for a check-up on the wounds and a check on the AFO's. We will probably have Annie fitted with her new jacket then too.

Thank you for all your prayers and support!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Emily had a wound like that after a hip surgery. I was agast as you were. Not sure why sometimes it doesn't close. The scar isn't bad, but is wider than the other hip scar. Emily's back is opposite, curve goes in severely at the L4-L5 area (low back). Just think, you've added several new words to your dictionary, and acronyms, TLSO, and AFO or DAFO. If you haven't heard these words yet you can ask the Orthotics tech next time.
Michelle & girls in WA