Thursday, June 11, 2009

Quote of the Day

Soon after this evening, Jack wrote to Arthur Greeves: " . . . I have just passed on from believing in God to definitely believing in Christ . . . My long night talk with [Hugo] Dyson and [JRR] Tolkien had a great deal to do with it."

The conversion took place on September 22, 1931, while Jack was sitting in the sidecar of Warren's motorcycle en route to Whipsnade, the safari zoo. "When we set out I did not believe that Jesus Christ was the Son of God," Jack wrote, "and when we reached the zoo I did." It was not an emotional conversion, nor was he aware of his reasoning. "It was more like when a man, after a long sleep, still lying motionless in bed, becomes aware that he is now awake."

- from Jack: A Life of CS Lewis

No comments: