Monday, March 3, 2008

Excel Shopping List #6 - Furniture!

So I have started building a list on Amazon and it is excruciating.

First of all, you log in and you search for "Infant Socks" and 23,485 different types of socks come up (I have been limiting myself to the first page of options that Amazon suggests).

From those on the first page, I pick one - which sends me to another page for that particular pair of socks. But I have learned that if you scroll down, it will list another 6-10 pairs of socks that people who have looked at the pair of socks you chose have also looked at. Most of the time, the alternate pairs of socks that other people have looked at are better than the pair I chose (proving once again that I don't know what I am doing) so I click on one of those alternate pairs of socks - which takes you to that page. Which starts the process over again.

Only this time, when you scroll down you notice that one of the people who viewed that second pair of socks also viewed a 5-pack of won-sees and you think to yourself "I need that too . . ." and on it goes.
You begin to realize that your child is going to grow out of these socks in less time than it took you to choose them . . . That's when the indifference kicks in . . . "JUST PICK A PAIR OF SOCKS YOU PSYCHO - THE CRITTER WON'T CARE" I tell myself.

But then I remember that my wife will actually care - except that 9 times out of ten whatever I pick will be wrong anyway so just click on a pair - CLICK ON A PAIR! - MOVE THE $@&^!@ MOUSE AND CLICK! CLICK IT! Sheesh.

I am only allowing myself to search for one item a day (because two hours searching for "Infant Bibs" is about my limit)


This is how we end up with children wearing Teenage-Mutant-Slasher-Transformer-Beer-Commercial shirts.

A dead tired parent who couldn't possibly care less anymore drags their urchin to Target - the urchin whines and complains that all their friends are wearing Teenage-Mutant-Slasher-Transformer-Beer-Commercial shirts and they WANT ONE WANT ONE WAAAANNT ONNNNNE!

You check the tag $5 but on sale for $2.50 - I'll take 3.

Add to it all that we don't know if it is a boy or a girl and the list ends up with a lot of green and yellow stuff.

I am just trying to get something on the list at this point - we will worry about the details later.

If you are interested in the progress, the list is here - I welcome any feedback.
But on to today's list! Furniture!

Crib and Mattress
Rocking Chair
Changing table / dresser
Clothes
hamper
Baby monitor
Ipod dock
Swing
Highchair

2 comments:

Holly said...

OK, you said you welcome any comments, so here you go! HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND??!! This is insanity. We don't need all this stuff, and your spending way too much time on it that you could actually be sleeping. We should do this together and agree on it, so that WE get it right the first time Crazy. For example: We don't need ALL the "Goodnight" books. Just "Goodnight Moon" and we have that. "Sheesh!" is right. An intervention is in order here.

Anonymous said...

You tell him girl! It's too bad you guys aren't still living here. I have a ton of stuff ready to be passed on. I was kind of holding out for the Days, but if you want to make a road trip... :) And why is there an ipod dock on your baby needs list?