Sunday, March 9, 2008

Am I Too Old for This?

The comparisons are inevitable. You think back to your childhood and how you perceived your parents. I never viewed my parents as "old" they were just parents. Ageless.

Then you wonder what their life was like when you arrived. Were they "ready"? How did they feel about the whole thing given the stage of life they were in?

My parents owned a 3 bedroom 1 3/4 bath home in a quiet residential neighborhood. My mom stayed home while my dad worked two jobs - one for the police force and another for an insurance company. He was studying for the bar exam.

They had one car, a dawg and a cat. They had been married for two years.

My wife and I own a 3 bedroom 1 bath home in a relatively quiet residential neighborhood. Both my wife and I work. We have two cars, a dawg and a cat. We have been married 15+ years.

My dad was 36 when I was born and 40 when my brother was born.

I will be 38 when our child is born and probably 40-41 if an when the next one comes along.


A little gray is starting to show in the whiskers and the lines are getting a little deeper. Old or not, ready or not, I guess the time is here.

1 comment:

Holly said...

It'll be ok Pops.