Saturday, March 22, 2008

Warning: Owner Bites - Dawg is Friendly

Darkness. I am awake (sort of). Still in bed. Eyes closed.

lick lick lick . . . - the cat must be indulging in a midnight snack at her food bowl in the hallway

rustle thump rustle . . . - I wonder if the wife is awake or if she is just turning in her sleep . . .

snore . . . . . snore . . . . . - one thing is for sure, the dawg is not having any trouble sleeping.

flap flap . . . - ?

flap flap . . . - ?

flap flap . . . . - the cat must be going in and out of the dawg door at the other end of the house.

lick lick lick . . . - wait a second, the cat is in the hallway, the dawg is snoozing at the foot of the bed - who is messing with the dawg door at 2am?

I believe that it is a good idea for people to have a handgun in the home - with all the standard precautions etc.

My wife disagrees and so until we settle the matter (and we probably never will) we will be unarmed - Come and take what you like villains! There is nothing we can do to stop you!

Or is there . . .

I swung my legs to the floor with visions of furry critters creating midnight mayhem in the family room. The dawg lazily raised his head and looked at me. I stopped and thought for a moment.

All I had to do was barely whisper, "c'mon" and he was up in a flash and on my heels.

We toured the house - the dawg at my side like white on rice - he seemed to sense that "dad" was alert.

The house was all clear and I grabbed a flashlight and opened the back door to the deck. The light of the full moon beamed down and I swung the light around the yard once or twice.

All clear. I stood there in the middle of the cool night - in my pj's - outside - alone.

I looked down at the dawg who was looking up at me.

"Good boy" I said as I gave him a couple pats and we both headed back to bed.

I have no doubt that if anything was amiss, he would have noticed it first. And there is a good chance that he would have been able to do more about it than I could.

Alarm systems are good and we should probably have one. But alarm systems can't detect a suspicious sound outside and warn off potential intruders with a low rumbling growl that will send shivers up your spine.

Alarm systems don't follow you around the house in the middle of the night with a body full of muscle and jaws full of bone-crushing teeth.

Handguns don't leap for joy and lick your face when you come home from work.

It's good to have a 90 lb dawg.

(a handgun and alarm would be nice too - but if I had to choose amongst the three . . . no contest)

2 comments:

Holly said...

AH LUV IM SO MU UU UU CH!
( bawling like Holly Hunter in "Raising Arizona" )

Sean said...

He does have an impressive bark.