Sunday, September 13, 2009

Quote of the Day

I have knelt beside a wrecked car, seen a burly forty-year-old shaking with pain and fear, and realized the last time I saw him he was steaming under the bright lights of the hometown football field, running his body like a weapon. I superimpose the image in my head over the image before me, and try to keep the new one from displacing the old one, so that later i can ponder the contrast and see what it might teach me. The lesson never concludes, but I'm getting parts of it. i understand that what you're doing when you dial 911 - it sounds so perfunctory - is announcing to strangers that you are losing the battle. I no longer have the strength, I no longer have the answer, the trouble is winning, and won't you please come help?"

- From Population 485 by Michael Perry

Buy The Book - proceeds to benefit ACF

No comments: