Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Well Wishes from the Right Side of the Aisle

I thought I would offer up a smattering of responses to Obama's election from some of the more conservative folks that I tune in to (I will update throughout the day as time permits):

Pray for our country's new President Elect, Barack Obama, as he moves forward with plans, opening his transition office and naming his chief of staff. Pray for God's powerful guidance and anointing on him in every decision and plan. Pray for godly people to step up in advisory roles, and pray that concerns of faith and prayer will remain foremost in his administration.

Give thanks for the blessings of freedom and liberty in our nation, as millions voted in Tuesday's election. Thank God for the wise foundation of our government this was put in place by our Founding Fathers. Pray for continued wisdom for those who continue to safeguard our Constitution and all laws.

Pray for unity in our nation as we prepare for the future under the leadership of President Elect Obama. Pray for a spirit of reconciliation and sincere cooperation among citizens of every persuasion, so we may see effective leadership and healing in America. Pray for continued willingness to pray for our newly elected leaders with respect and dedication to God and His sovereign will.


- The Presidential Prayer Team

I’m approaching the new administration with a blank slate. I have no desire to walk around frowning in perpetual grumptitude, and it would be intellectually dishonest to prejudge everything that happens before it happens, or see the smallest act in terms of some broad preconceived idea. I thought that was an impressive victory speech, and if someone offers to earn your support, well, take him up on it.

Natalie had to write an apology letter for laughing in class. She was driven to the edge of a hilarity by a classmate’s decision to embellish his art project – a turkey – with the head of Obama. He got in trouble, too. I explained to her that this was disrespectful to the teacher and the President-Elect, and she understood. I have this ridiculous hope that if we always speak of her teacher and the President with respect in the house, that’ll build some sort of innate respect for the institutions that survive and transcend the transitory occupants. It was always President Bush in our house, and it will always be President Obama.

- Lileks

It is an extraordinary thing, an achievement that will be recognized a hundred years hence, that Barack Obama has won the White House. Even those of us who opposed him, and who will no doubt be opposed to many of his policy objectives over the next four years, must pause and say congratulations on an improbable, amazing rise.

Every American ought to pray for wisdom and judgment for President-elect Obama, for his safety and the safety of his country, and for the continued prosperity and greatness of America.


- Hugh Hewitt

I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our good will and earnest effort to find ways to come together to find the necessary compromises to bridge our differences and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited. Whatever our differences, we are fellow Americans. And please believe me when I say no association has ever meant more to me than that.

- John McCain

As I listened last night to friends and relatives who voted for McCain concede their hope for a Republican victory, I was buoyed by the optimism that existed within their resignation: “This election did not go the way I wanted it to, but that does not mean I give up as an American.” “I hope he can bring some unity to this country.” “I wish him the best, because I wish America the best.”

Look around you. Look at the tears of joy, listen to the voices of hope. When was the last time you saw this many Americans — black, white, old, young — experience such joy and hope together? Could Obama be the president who finally makes American whole?

Well, that is not really up to Obama. He can set the stage for it, but the rest is up to us. It is up to us as Americans.


- Michelle Catalano

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Great set of quotes. We watched McCain's speech and I was so touched and inspired by his call to Republicans for them to come together in support of the new administration. And the last excerpt you included by Catalano gives me so much hope that our country is ready to heal itself!

Obama said in his speech last night that when people disagree with him, that is when he will listen the most. And I feel like you do that, too! Thanks for always being such a great sounding board and earnest balance to liberals like me.