Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Medici

Do any of the following interest you?

- Michelangelo
- Di Vinci
- Botticelli
- Galileo
- Brunelleschi
- Pope Leo X
- Pope Clement VII
- The Renaissance
- The Protestant Reformation
- The Sacking of Rome
- The David
- The Sistine Chapel
- Machiavelli
- The world's first Art School
- The world's first work of Art History
- The Roman Inquisition
- The world's first French Ballet
- The beginning of Opera
- The first book of popular Science

They all had one area of the world in common; Italy (not yet a unified country)

Within that country, they were all effected by one region; Tuscany.

In that one region? One city; Florence.

In that one city? One Family; the Medici - Godfathers of the Renaissance.

I found this PBS documentary totally fascinating. To think that one family, over the course of 200 years, was able to have such a profound impact on Western Civilization is astonishing.

I feel that I now have a much better understanding of the Renaissance than I did before.

If you are interested in the above, I would highly recommend this PBS series!

No comments: