Thursday, November 20, 2008

Plastic Surgery Update

So we had a visit with the plastic surgeon yesterday afternoon.

She took a 10 second look at Annie's back and pronounced everything just fine. She wants to see us back in three months.

The last time we were in, she prescribed an ointment called "Aquafor" to keep Annabelle's scar moisturized.

We opted for one of the many tubes of neosporin we have on hand instead. After all, what's better than neosporin?

Aquafor actually . . .

Turns out that the antibiotic qualities of neosporin can actually inhibit healthy skin development once a wound is healed. Good to know!

So it is off to the drug store for for the prescription. Incidentally, the PS said that Aquafor is very similar to Vaseline. I don't think we will be substituting this time though.

At this point, Annie's back looks great but there is some red discoloration along and around her scar. The PS says the redness should all disappear within a year to 18 months which the wife and I were both relieved to hear.

This morning it is back to the hospital for this week's recasting. I am taking the camera this time!

Updates to follow . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! You don't know me, but I follow your blog! Weird, isn't it? Anyway, I have been following and cheering for Annabelle since just after she was born - she is amazing, and you are amazing parents.

I wanted to let you know that Aquaphor is available over the counter -- it works miracles on diaper rashes! It can be found in the lotion section, and sometimes even in the baby diaper care section (as the diaper rash secret gets out).

Good luck - and I'll keep cheering your and your little Annabelle on!