I received a call this past Wednesday while the dawg and I were terrorizing B. Hills. It seemed my assistant and my stand-in were drowning in work. The demands of the desk were overwhelming them. I encouraged them to go to the higher-ups for assistance and gave them some info on a couple of files.
After I hung up, I dialed the higher-ups directly to call in the reinforcements. I hung up after the first ring. The assistant and stand-in are adults. If they truly need help, they will ask for it. I am not going to micro-manage them while on my vacation in B. Hills.
Understandably, I approach my return to the House of Pain today with a certain amount of trepidation.
During the Thanksgiving festivities, a family friend asked how the "Credit Crunch" had effected my industry. I gave him the holiday-cliff-notes version of The Great Upheaval and his response was, "Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger".
I totally understand what he was saying - "Hang in there - you will be the better for it" etc etc. I remember learning that phrase when I was in High School and I will admit that I gained a certain amount of "backbone" from it. But now I am old(er) and tired(er).
I know this all won't kill me - but I am not much interested in being any stronger. Let's pass on the "I feel like I'm going to die part" and you can keep your "stronger".
It's like the other saying - "Pain is just weakness leaving your body". Well, okay. But it's the PAIN part that I have a problem with. I don't mind being weak(er). I will keep the "weakness" and you hang onto the pain part.
"Keep your 'Ho there'. I will no be moved!." (princess bride reference)
Hey - It's the Monday after my vacation - what did you expect?
Just for fun - here's 10 minutes of Princess Bride Goodness . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment