Tuesday, November 20, 2007

New! For Christmas! The ALL NEW Commodore 64k!

I clicked over to http://www.amazon.com/ this morning to look for a book on Balboa Park and - Aaaack! What spawn from digital H-E-double hockey sticks is THIS?!




Relax, it is only a retrospective on how far we have come in the past few . . wait . . . no . . .it can't be . . . its:

Kindle: Amazon's New Wireless Reading Device
"This is the future of book reading. It will be everywhere." Michael Lewis, author of Moneyball and Liar's Poker.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Price: $399.00 & includes FREE Two-Day Shipping. See Details

Availability: In stock on November 29, 2007. Order it now. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.


Get that "In Stock on November 29, 2007" and no doubt November 2008 and November 2009 . . .

Attention Amazon employees, I you're humble Dawg Run blogger, know what the company will be giving you for Christmas 2009 - but you will never get it out of me! MWAAAHAHAHAHA!

This is the type of thing that makes the Apple folks clap their hands to their mouths to stifle the screams of horror - just before they break into a grin, double over in silent laughter and then let loose with a roar of joy and buy everyone in the bar another round.

Just Plain Terrible.

Lileks, of course, has something to say about it:
"Thought about getting a Kindle, since I really want a portable book-reader that has lots of things to read. Then I realized it looks like a 1996 web page. Grey and black. Make it color, give me free versions of books I already bought from Amazon, and we’ll talk. And even then I’ll probably say no. If I’m going to buy something to replace books, it has to be Books Plus. It has to have the book equivalent of a commentary track and extras, like a DVD. Maps and pictures and music – the sort of add-ons that might turn the novel into a new form of literature, the thing we’ve been promised since CD-ROMS were supposed to change everything."
Check it out for yourself and despair . . .

For the youngsters, the Commodore 64k Reference is explained here .

No comments: