Thursday, October 25, 2007

SNAFU

Situation Normal - All Fouled Up.

As dramatic as this week has been - there is no use denying it any longer - for most people (not all - but most), things are back to normal here in San Diego. And things are all fouled up.

Yes, there are still hotspots and fires here and there - as this map will show. But if it weren't for the preceeding conflagrations, I don't think the present fires would be national news.

Yes, a sizable numer of people were diplaced but most are back home or headed that direction.

And yes, more people than should have lost their homes - so there is that to deal with.

Thankfully, while a number of people we know were evacuated, none have lost their homes.

But at this point, if you are calling your boss, begging off work due to the fires, expect a raised eyebrow, a shrug of the shoulders and a suspicious look.

I, myself, am dressed and ready to head back to the "House of Pain" at o-dark-thiry to get a jump on things as most people in my industry will be returning to work and making up for lost time today. The only thing keeping me from leaving right now is the big bowl of oatmeal on the desk before me.

The only reason I am blogging right now is because there are very few things I can stand to do while eating and blogging is one of them.

Much has been said about the way the people and the government of San Diego performed this week - most of it complimentary. No need for me to rehash it all except to say that I am amazed and proud of the way the situation was handled.

And I am pretty sure the mayor won't be taking to the air waves blaming Bush and promising to rebuild San Diego as a white-chocolate city. Although if he did, Dick Cheney and Barak Obama would be the perfect residents. Turns out they are cousins.

What a week. What a!

No comments: