Sunday, October 14, 2007

The Great Upheaval - Part 10!

Sick of hearing about it? Whhhhheeeelllll, I sure am sick of living it. But I have to get it off my chest . . .

Work-week in review:

Monday: 4:30am-6pm
Tuesday: 4:30am-6pm
Wednesday: 4:30am-5pm

At this point, it should be noted that I finally had the tiger by the tail. As I was packing up Wednesday evening, I carefully reviewed the situation at the office. "Yes, I think I can sleep in a little tomorrow . . ."

I got up Thursday morning, did a little blogging and got to work a little late.

Thursday: 8:30am-7:30pm

Why 7:30pm? Because all hades broke loose once again. The co-worker in the office next to mine was laid-off and I inherited all her files and clients who were angry about her being laid off.

Friday: 4:00am-5:00pm
Saturday: 8:00am-5:30pm
Sunday: TBA

Yes, I was in the office on Saturday and I will be going into the office today - which means 12 straight days of work by the end of this upcoming week. And spare me the "you're a work-a-holic who needs to enjoy life more" tirades.

=Begin Screed=
Work-a-holics want to be at work. I want to be at home - with the wife, the dawg, the cat and the beer. There is nothing more irritating to someone who isn't enamoured with their job that is requiring unpaid overtime than to be told that they love their job too much and should lighten up.
=End Screed=

Oh, and everyone received a 25-36% pay-cut this week.

The good news is, I no longer feel like I am on the chopping block. It is a bittersweet victory though. I feel like a prisoner in shackles and chains rejoicing because the guillotine has been temporarily shut down for routine maintenance.

In talking with a co-worker who has been in the business for going on 4 decades, she said she had weathered three of these down turns - one in the late 80's - one in the late 90's and this one, which she said is the worst she has ever seen.

So once every decade.

If we make it through this one, best to spend the next ten years saving $$ to get through the next one, I suppose. . . .

No comments: