Friday, February 8, 2013

Horseradish Roast Beef and Potatoes


The concept of this sounded good but I was doubtful on some of the particulars. I decided to just stick to the recipe and it turned out awesome! I wanted to make this one while the wife was out of town b/c horseradish is not at the top her list of favorite tastes. I think she would actually like this recipe. You get a hint of the horseradish tang without of any of the burn (which is why I ate mine with a big bowl of fresh horseradish at my elbow ;-)



Servings: 6
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 8 hours

1 tablespoon grated or prepared horseradish (more to taste)
1 tablespoon Dijon style mustard
1 tablespoon fresh parsley minced
1 teaspoon fresh thyme minced (can substitute basil or oregano)
3 pounds beef stew meat
1-2 pound Yukon Gold Potatoes quartered
1 pound mushrooms quartered
2 large tomatoes with chilies seeded, chopped
1 large onion cut in to half rings
1 green bell pepper chopped
1 red bell pepper chopped
3 cloves garlic minced
1 bay leaf
1 cup red wine
21 ounces (2 cans) beef consommé
salt and pepper to taste


- mix horseradish, dijon mustard, and parsley in a small bowl to make a paste. Spread past over fattest side of roast and place in slow-cooker paste-up
- Add potatoes

**I found it a little hard to get all the remaining ingredients to fit into my slow cooker so I tossed the remaining vegetables in a bowl and fit in as much of the blend as I could. I then topped with the bay leaf and minced garlic and poured the red wine and beef consomme over that.

- Cover and cook on high for 2 hours and then on low for 4-6 hours

No comments: