Saturday, August 18, 2012

Attention Race Fans!

When I started walking / running back on May 3rd, I never intended to be running every day and I had no plans or goals to sign up for any official races. I just wanted to lose some weight and get back in shape. Well, it's now been 108 days in a row, 368 miles (that's about a 5k every day) and a total of 50 lbs lost (35  during those 108 days). So it made sense to make this running thing "official".

I signed up for the America's Finest City 5k. Race day is tomorrow.

I am surprised at how excited I am. I went to the pre-race expo yesterday and picked up my bib, swag bag and t-shirt. I had planned on just going out and running the race alone but the family insists on cheering me on so we are all-in (even my running partner, Buckley!)

So do I have any goals for tomorrow? Absolutely!

1) Don't injure any other runners
2) Don't injure myself
3) Try to finish in under 30 minutes without breaking #1 and #2

I have a running playlist that I listen to on my ipod when I run but it is in no certain order and I just hit "shuffle". Now that this is becoming "a thing" tomorrow. I thought I would put together a special 5k playlist with songs in a specific order.

If you click through the songs starting around 6:45am tomorrow you can listen with me.

So here they are:

1) "The Orchard" from Phenomenon (I bought the song on itunes. This is the movie scene and the song starts about the 1 min mark)


http://youtu.be/fkYjmBtox5E

2) "I have the Touch" by Peter Gabriel


http://youtu.be/CSj-V-I3NWI

3) "Roll Away Your Stone" by Mumford and Sons


http://youtu.be/hZzRd3q9pEM

4) "Back in Black" by AC/DC


http://youtu.be/CwIvBNsSywQ

5) "Getting Better" by Tesla


http://youtu.be/oISIMqIBmaQ

6) "Beautiful Day" by U2


http://youtu.be/co6WMzDOh1o

7) A Little Less Conversation by Elvis vs JXL


http://youtu.be/Zx1_6F-nCaw

8) Born Again by Richard Ashcroft and the United Nations of Sound


http://youtu.be/eAbFZ_slsRQ

Yeah, you could say I have an eclectic taste in music . . .

I really want to be "in the moment" so I am not going to wear a watch tomorrow. I'm just going to do what I can. Like I said, I would like to finish in under 30 minutes so I only cued up 30 minutes of music. If I finish before the music does, I'll know I made it!

I'll tweet / FB my unoffical RunKeeper time once I cross the finish.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

Me said...

Very cool! Good luck!

Holly Linden said...

GO DADDIO!

tami said...

I am so excited for you! Can't wait to hear how it went.

Sean said...

He Rocked It!