In my adult discussion group at church we have lately been discussing the dehumanizing effects of our reliance on labels.
Labels are a natural knee-jerk human reaction to the fantastic complexity of this wondrous existence. Life is such a terribly complex mix of contradictions and nuances that we often tire of trying to gain understanding and instead slip into the doltish habit of just labeling people.
People are "straight" or "gay", "liberal" or "conservative", "white" or . . . . everybody else? Poor or rich. People are "Christian", "Jewish", "Muslim", "Agnostic", "Atheist", or "__________", or, "_________", or (worst of all!), "________".
Worse yet, we label ourselves. We self-identify as a "Ford man", a "Chevy man", a "Prius . . . . wuss"? Bud Light, Coors Light, Abercrombie and Fitch, LL Bean, J. Crew, Pepsi, Coke, Vegan, Vegetarian, Runner, Swimmer, Artist, Accountant and so on.
Here's the thing: Whenever you affix a label to someone else, you diminish their humanity. Whenever you self-identify with a label, you give your humanity away.
Every single one of the labels we use comes with a laundry list of baggage. Think of the top five things that represent Republicans - right now! Off the top of your head! Now do the same for Democrats. Take a look at those lists. REALLY? EVERY Republican and EVERY Democrat fits those descriptions? REALLY?
Lately, whenever I hear (read) someone who says that "the Republicans" or "the Democrats" or "the Christians" or "the Gays" . . . . blah blah blah . . . (I actually can't finish that statement because I stop listening or continue scrolling on my FB page) I think "dehumanizing" and move on.
Whenever I notice that someone is always on the side of the Democrats or always on the side of the Republicans I realize that they have sold a portion of their humanity for some half-baked fictional group identity.
A rule of thumb I have learned from those with disabilities is to always emphasize the person first and soften the descriptors afterwards. In other words, my daughter is not a "disabled girl", she is a 4 year old girl who has some physical challenges. Republicans/Democrats are not being "ignorant". Rather, people that hold to (x) particular viewpoint need to do some more research before we are willing to entrust them with political power. Yes, this takes more time and effort - celebrating humanity always does.
To give an example from my own life: Some would label me as:
42 years old
Male
Father
White
Middle class
Christian
Conservative
Runner
With the exception of the first three (and I am iffy on the third) I refuse to label myself this way or acknowledge the labels you put on me. I am certainly 42 years old and male. However (even though I have a daughter) I don't know what baggage the term "father" carries for you. I don't know what "white" means - I have more nationalities in me that my dog has breeds. I have no idea how you define "middle class". I don't know what baggage you load onto "Christian" - positive or negative - and I assure you I am not as good or as bad as you might think.
I have voted Republican for most of my life but am now unaffiliated and would not call myself one. I have run 118 days in a row but I wouldn't call myself a "runner".
Just as a specific example: I believe that the word "marriage" is a term of art that should have been restricted to religious orders. The government (being secular) has no business "marrying" anyone. Instead, the government should be granting any two consenting adults Civil Unions - be they hetero or otherwise - along with all the rights and benefits thereof. If you want a certificate that says "married" find a recognized religious group that will give you one. So what does that make me? Conservative? Liberal? Or just really, really smart? ;-)
What I am is a 42 year-old man who is doing his damnedest to live a good and beautiful life and leave the world better than I found it. I refuse to be shackled by the labels you fling at me and I refuse to voluntarily shackle myself with labels of my own making.
You want to know me? Start by loving me as a guy muddling his way through this life as best as he can and I will love you right back - we can go from there.
When I see a window decal with a cartoon urinating on an automobile logo, someone with a logo'ed sweatshirt, someone who leads with their sexuality, someone who engages conversations with "church people" or "the gays", I shake my head in sorrow. These people have given away some of their humanity in exchange for a false identity that neither satisfies or fulfills.
So spare me your labels and political hyperbole this election season. I'm not buying it. In fact, if you are willing to give away your humanity to a political label, I question your judgement on other matters as well.
I am setting myself free from you and I am setting myself free from me.
Set yourself free - be human first - be human last - be human only - celebrate the diversity of the humans around you - lay your labels down.
UPDATE:
I just saw this great video featuring Aimee Mullins that echos the point: http://youtu.be/-yKCbnI0IjQ
UPDATE:
I just saw this great video featuring Aimee Mullins that echos the point: http://youtu.be/-yKCbnI0IjQ

No comments:
Post a Comment