So last night we had our first Jewish theme night dinner.
In the 5 minutes I had to research the menu, I searched Yelp.com for "Jewish Market" and was surprised to find this recommendation:
"I and my friend went to the Glatt Market because as Muslims we have dietary restrictions similar but not exactly like the Jewish community."
That's right. Jews and Muslims in America frequent the same markets because they are SO SIMILAR - well, whaddaya gonna say to that?
"I and my friend went to the Glatt Market because as Muslims we have dietary restrictions similar but not exactly like the Jewish community."
That's right. Jews and Muslims in America frequent the same markets because they are SO SIMILAR - well, whaddaya gonna say to that?
Not knowing what we were doing, we settled on sardines and cream cheese on crackers, matzo ball soup, latkas with sour creme and apple sauce, orange tea biscuits for dessert and . . . . wait for it . . . a bottle of Manischewitz wine.
All of it was better than expected (I guess the key is low expectations). I can see us doing the sardines and crackers again.

One of our dinner party proclaimed that the concord grape wine might be her favorite red wine ever.

Everyone liked the Matzo ball soup but I doubt I will make it again.


We made latkas from a box - they were good but I think I would make them fresh next time - and I am pretty sure there will be a next time. Also next time we might get the reserach started a little earlier and do a beef brisket or pastrami or something.
One of our dinner party proclaimed that the concord grape wine might be her favorite red wine ever.
Everyone liked the Matzo ball soup but I doubt I will make it again.
We made latkas from a box - they were good but I think I would make them fresh next time - and I am pretty sure there will be a next time. Also next time we might get the reserach started a little earlier and do a beef brisket or pastrami or something.
Fiddler on the Roof was longer than I remembered it being and not quite as good.
So that's our kosher theme night experience -"To Love! To life! L'chaim!"
And what Kosher post would be complete without a little Linda Richman? (I'm not crazy about Barbara Streisand but then again, I'm not crazy about Manischewitz wine and I managed to survive that . . .)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enykfPwDnV4
I believe we all agreed that our next theme meal would be a Lord of the Rings marathon. Plenty of inspiration there . . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S6iXcx9pLA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYiCPmwOV4A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmFnv-TZzRs
4 comments:
How could you possibly say that about Fiddler?! For shame.
Hope you invite us over for Passover! Can Marci bring her family? Can I raise the Torah?
Fun!
Why wouldnt you make the matzo ball soup again?
To me, the Matzo Ball soup seemed like ramen powder and water-proof bread balls. I added celery, onion, carrots and Lipton Chicken Noodle soup mix but it ended up tasting like I had mixed ramen powder and CNS. I didn't care for the taste or texture of the Matzo Balls either.
Naturally, I don't propose to be the world's greatest Kosher cook so maybe good MBS is just beyond my skill set.
I would much rather cook up a nice beef brisket or something along those lines next time. It was fun to do though!
Post a Comment