Sunday, January 16, 2011

Not with TODAY'S Medical Technology

It is rare that someone approaches me to ask about Annabelle's condition. The other day, we were on a daddy-daughter date at the mall and I noticed a woman admiring Annie in her wheelchair. I usually ignore people like this just because I want them to feel comfortable taking a good long look - so long as people are reasonable, it's really no big deal. This woman actually approached me misty-eyed with her hand clutching her heart and apologized saying she thought Annabelle was one of the most beautiful little girls she had ever seen. Although people's reactions are usually not so extreme, this is pretty standard fair.

This morning at church the nursery pager in my pocket went off and I excused myself from the service to find out what was wrong. Annie was fussy and so I decided to put her in her chair and let her wheel around the church courtyard. An older gentleman approached and, judging by his starched and pressed pants topped with a marine corps belt buckle, I figured he was a vet.

"What put her in the chair?" he asked cautiously. We had a nice chat and he asked all kinds of detailed questions - which I don't mind one bit. I knew the question was coming, it always does, always at the very end: "Will she ever walk?"

I gave my standard response, "Not with today's medical technology but a lot of smart people around the world are working on it. In the meantime, we are making the most of today."

Well this evening I saw this:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4499064/paralyzed-man-walks-again-/

One step closer . . .

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That is awesome!!!

Michelle said...

Wow, that is so cool! You just never know what neat technology is just around the corner. Its like Emily and the comm box, they are getting better every year. She can actually use the one we are borrowing right now. (of course we still need to program in the things she might want to say)

Michelle & girls