Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Just (Blissfully) Do It


So I mentioned before that during this time of unemployment I am considering not only how much $$ I need to make in my next job but what my true gifts are - that is, what brings me bliss?

One of the things that I really enjoy doing is writing (I said I enjoy it - I didn't say I was any good at it).

Writing is an art form and so one must coax and corral the muses. I enjoy writing in the early mornings - before the world (and the rest of the household) is awake. It's just such a peaceful time.

So lately I have been setting the coffee pot timer for 5:15am and setting my alarm for 5:30am. Which gives me enough time to read a chapter in Romans, go through my prayers and then write for an hour. The thing is, I am finding it extraordinarily hard to get up that early (this coming from a guy who used to get up at 4am on a regular basis).

It feels remarkably like going to the gym - or running. Getting out of bed is the hardest part. Once I start in on the writing, the brain muscles are stiff and the words are stilted but then as the fingers get moving, things begin to warm up, limber up, and I am glad I got up early.

Afterwards, it feels like success. If nothing else goes right today - at least I know I got my (writing) work-out in.

Moral of the story? If you have something that brings you bliss - Just Do It.

(I am still not ready to take up running again)

5 comments:

Sean said...

Good for you man. I agree, getting out of bed is the toughest, and the first steps are stumbling, but once you get moving, it is worth it.

Rebecca Nelson said...

Matt...

You do not know me. My name is Rebecca Elliott Nelson and I live in Edmond, Oklahoma.

Many years ago (32 today in fact) I was married to my beloved at the Lake Overholser Church of the Nazarene. The year was 1978.

Doug Bolles was the pastor at the church at the time and his two daughters, Holly and Heather, were my flower girls. I'm not 100% certain but I believe your wife is the very Holly who was in my wedding.

This year as my husband and I looked through our wedding day album I came across the photos and couldn't help but wonder where those two little girls ended up. I pray they've been happy and well...

I have a couple of photos of both the girls dressed all in pink that I know for certain have never been seen by the Bolles' family. My husband, Steve, and I moved away right after we were married and years later when we returned to Oklahoma Pastor B had been called to a church in another state.

I have no idea if anyone would even like to have a copy of the pictures but I'd be happy to forward them along in case they do. There are only a couple...but they do show beautiful sisters who shared the same golden blond hair and smiling faces.

I actually posted several pics on my blog and you can see a bit of Holly and Pastor B in one of them.

This has been a busy day for me but I will return soon and read more about your family and your beautiful daughter.

Blessings to you~

Rebecca

matt said...

Rebecca,

Ha! You found the right Holly! Holly and I met at Point Loma Nazarene College in San Diego. We were married in 1992. Doug is pastoring Enumclaw Church of the Nazarene in Washington state and is getting ready to retire.

If you want to e-mail me or Holly, here is our info!: Matthew.M.Linden@Gmail.com / Holly.M.Linden@Gmail.com .

Holly Linden said...

UNBELIEVABLE!!

lori said...

Awwww. That's a fun connection to witness.