Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Wheels: Day 2

So Monday was Annabelle's first day at home in her new wheelchair. Our house is all one level with the exception of the sunken family room where we spend most of our time. As a result, Annie has done most of her exploring in the family room - a little in the living room and virtually none in the rest of the house.

Annie has basically never explored her own nursery - all she has done in her own room is nurse, and sleep.

Just for kicks, I set her in her wheelchair in the kitchen to see what she would do. She immediately wheeled through the kitchen, through the dining room, and through the living room. I sat at the computer in the dining room and tried to give her some independent space.

When I looked over my shoulder, Annie was wheeling towards the hallway leading to the bedrooms. She paused, did a 180 - looked at me as if to say, "Can I?", and then disappeared down the hall.

I waited a few minutes and then checked on her. She had gone straight from the kitchen to her own bedroom with clear intent. Here is our little one able to explore her own room for the first time in her life (clearly, we have some toddler-proofing to do):



Next, she wheeled to her door and grabbed her pink boxing gloves off her door knob - which is just loaded with symbolism for us.



After that, she decided to check out the bathroom. The reason I include this otherwise boring clip is because of what seems like a look of wonder on her face that she can go wherever she wants now.



Good - Great - Stuff!

3 comments:

tami said...

Those are the best videos I've seen in a long time. She has freedom! She looks so excited to explore it. I had to laugh (through the tears) at the one in her bedroom thinking about the fun messes you will get to clean up now.

stace-c said...

I love how she threw the book on the floor just to see what would happen! So two-years-old of her! What a wonderful time this will be for her--getting to explore in a way she's never been able to before!

Leigh and Andy said...

I'm doing a crazy laugh/cry over here! Laughing because I am so thrilled that she has her new wheels and able to go where and do what she wants! Crying...because I am so thrilled that she is able to go where and do what she wants!! I so look froward to the day when Grey gets his as I'm sure that he will have that same look of amazement and wonder. :) Thanks for posting these videos, great doesn't even begin to describe them.