
? mi / ? min / ? mpmStill can't find the widget for the gizmo. This being the weekend and all, I thought I would run at Mission Bay for a change of scenery. Everything was fogged in when I got there. Love it.
I love foggy mornings at the beach - everything seems hushed somehow.
I set my watch and started off . . . there is a path that runs around the bay and with the traffic bridges, you can actually choose from a number of different loops around portions of the water. I chose the shortest one I knew - a path that I haven't run in a couple years . . .
Of course it was all wonderful and beautiful.
When my watched signaled the half-way point I had a decision to make - do I double back? or do I keep on keepin' on and complete the loop? Like I said, it had been a couple of years since I ran this route and I was unsure of how much longer the whole thing would take me.
From where I stood, I could see the bridge that I would need to cross to get back to where I started and it didn't seem that far away . . . just around the next bend in the bay . . . so I decided I would keep moving forward and complete the loop . . .
After another 10 minutes or so I rounded a bend and realized my mistake . . . the bay sways and curves and the bridge that seemed so close 10 minutes ago now seemed very far away indeed . . . but of course, now I had run 10 minutes father away from the car and there was probably no point in doubling back now.
I decided I would just get in my run and if the dawg and I had a nice little walk at the end of it to get back to the car, we would make the best of it and enjoy the beauty of the morning.
Turns out, after I finished my 40 minute run it took another 25 minutes of walking to get back to the car.
But that's life sometimes, isn't it? You have a goal - you can clearly see where you want to go and you are positive that it is within your grasp - and then you round a bend in the bay and that goal of yours that seemed so easily attainable now seems much more difficult - if not out of reach all together.
So do you stop? Double back? Or do you keep on keepin on accepting that this whole journey may be a lot harder and longer than you expected but you will take it easy when you have to and enjoy the scenery along the way . . .
Maybe God doesn't allow us to see all the obstacles we will encounter because if we did, we would never set out on the journey in first place . . .
Anyway, that's what I spent my time thinking about during my 40 minute run that turned out to be 65 minutes long . . .
No comments:
Post a Comment