Friday, October 10, 2008

Pediatric Update

"The Wife" here, sitting in for Pops. He asked me to post this as it was just Annie and I at this appointment.

We love going to see Dr. Pickering. He just really seems to CARE about his little patients. He's pretty much our headquarters for all the other specialists. He follows up on all of their work with us. He asks all of his questions, and then we ask ours. Then he gives Annie Lu the once over, checking eyes, ears, weighing ( 9 lbs 4 oz!! ) , measuring , etc...

I had three main questions for him. 1-Does he think it's o.k., with all Annie has going on, for us to go to Washington for Christmas to visit our family? 2-What does he think of this diaper rash that doesn't seem to want to go away? and 3-What does he think of this startle episode she's gone through a couple of times after feeding her in the middle of the night?

His responses: 1-it's great 2-here's a new cream and 3-a list of questions that finally made me ask him ,( noticing he didn't take this question lightly ) "what are you trying to rule out here Doc?" and he said "seizures, which can occur in children with a shunt." He told me that from what I'd described it didn't sound like a seizure. I told him that she didn't seem off or strange, just frightened. Very frightened and it broke my heart and concerned me. She would get this terrified look on her face, eyes all wide, start tensely shaking , and cry. Not her normal everything else cry. The "I'm scared to death" cry. But I didn't think it seemed like a seizure either. He said to really watch her, an that he wanted to see her in another month instead of two months because of this.

Then it was time to immunize the Pumpkin. There were four immunizations to be done. The first one was taken orally. She got her first flavor other than milk ( cherries! ) out of a tiny syringe. She was so cute about it. Took it really well. Then she got two shots in one leg, and one in the other with matching Charlie Brown bandaids . She smiled through the whole thing, and I fell apart. This is where most parents hurt to watch their child in pain from the sting of the needle, my pain was that as I prayed she might feel something, she seemed to feel nothing. We will keep praying.

Dr. Pickering was very pleased with how well Annie is progressing. We are too!

6 comments:

Sean said...

Sounds like it went pretty well. 9 lbs 4 oz!!. Washington? :)

Michelle said...

Oh I'd love to meet that little punkin in person! If the rash still doesn't go away ask the pediatrician about butt paste. Butt paste is made of Vasoline, cornstarch, Desitin, and Maalox. If there is yeast in the rash you might need a yeast med in the butt paste. This makes a think paste that stays on pretty good.

The night time startle thing just might be very bad gas passing through the gut. Emily has some issues with this. Still praying for you guys and that little Annabelle!

Michelle & Emily
Buckley, WA

Aubrey said...

I just have to tell you, I have 5 children, and during the early months (0-6 months), NONE of them cried or even winced when they had their immunizations. You never would have even guessed they had anything done except for the little neon bandaids on their thighs. Don't let this get to you, I'm sure little Annabelle has plenty more miracles ahead of her!

BeRational said...

Likewise here on not crying during the immunizations. Jordan was more angry about having to lay down than the needle. Don't let that get to ya.

cec said...

Hi there - I found your blog via Ashley McNamara a while back and have been checking back on your Annabelle sweetie. Dr. Pickering is my son's pediatrician and we just love him. His manner is great, he always takes his time with questions, and he provide attentive care without being an alarmist.
So glad to see Annabelle doing so well! Take care, Cecily

Anonymous said...

Hey you guys. Karis totally had that crazy scared to death startle thing too!! There were a few times that I got really worried and thought something was really wrong. My friend Leah's son also had it. It's weird and scary but maybe it's kinda normal?? I dunno. I'm praying for Annie! Love you guys!