Friday, October 24, 2008

Hedging Our Bets

I really appreciate the writing over at the Powerchair Diaries.

The other day, he had a post comparing hopeing for the future yet working for today that I thought was pretty insightful.

Teaser:

I know that some believe that making the most of what we have, not waiting for a cure to save us, lacks vision toward accomplishing the impossible. But, the opposite is actually true. In a literal sense, those with disabilities who are most influential toward promoting real potentials toward cures aren’t sitting around with their lives on hold wishing for a cure. Rather, those with true hope are out making the most of themselves in the here-and-now with disability, pursuing education and career, raising their families, engaging in community – accomplishing whatever they can with their individual potentials – all while lobbying for research and creating awareness toward cures. After all, cures don’t come from wishful thinking, but from actually doing.

The wife and I have definitely lived this tension this past year - hopeing and praying for a miracle while still trying to be responsible in the way we respond to the here and now.

We are definitely hopeing and praying that God bring miraculous healing and development to our little one. That being said, while we are waiting around for God's miracles, we are going to get on with making our own.

But I guess that's all of us in one way or another.

Wish, hope, pray - and while you are doing that, get on with the here and now.

Who knows? The miracle God provides tomorrow just might come through you and the actions you take today.

2 comments:

Joye Lisk said...

You and Holly are good at both.....and then there is another element. The best possible groundwork for miracles is appreciation. You're good at that too. Auntie Joye

Holly said...

Thanks Joye!