My morning routine is starting to settle in:
- Up at 3am
- Make Coffee
- Set up bottle
- Set up baby-feeding satellite command post (aka couch in front of the TV)
- Wheel bassinet from our bedroom to nursery in an effort to give the wife a few hours of uninterrupted sleep
- Plug in the video monitor I mounted to the bassinet
- Settle in at the computer in the guest room and wait for the baby to wake up
The video monitor handheld sits on the desk just to the left of the computer screen so I can watch for wee-stirrings.
We normally would not have gone in for a video monitor except that the doctors require Annabelle to sleep on her stomach which most people will tell you is the #1 cause of SIDS. So we need to not only hear her but be able to see if she has planted herself face-down just as all the doom-sayers say she eventually will.
The gizmo works like a charm.
But I share all that only to set the stage.
3am, coffee, computer, baby video monitor.
I came across a 9/11 tribute video on Lileks this morning. His post begins concerning Sarah Palin and then discusses a film Noir but if you scroll to the bottom, you will find the video and avoid all that other stuff if you are so inclined.
Link Here.
The video isn't great - but it's nice.
As I sat there listening to the music and watching the images, I also watched my daughter sleeping peacefully on the video monitor. It makes you feel different, I think.
Maybe it is just because 9/11 is 7 years removed. Maybe it is all the shots of missing people who you realize are someone's son or daughter. Maybe it is the music Lileks chose. Maybe it is because I haven't finished my first cup of coffee . . .
But sitting here this morning, 9/11 makes me less angry and more sad. It's just a sad, sad day. Not just for the families of the victims, not just for the USA, but for all of humanity.
Don't get me wrong, it still makes me angry as well. But it is not a furious anger so much as a resolute anger mingled with sadness. A sorrowful anger that makes you quietly set your jaw with an iron-willed determination to do what needs doin'. Someone's children hurt our children - and they will continue to do so until they are stopped. And the options for getting them to stop seem very few.
9/11. We will never forget. This is a day that has been stolen from us as a collective people.
I imagine we will spend generations trying to redeem it back to semi-normalcy.
1 comment:
Just a little note of encouragement regarding little Annabelle sleeping on her belly. My daughter Claire was a picky little thing when she was born. She would sleep on her back at night without any problems, but for naps, she just wouldn't do it. We tried everything, but she always ended up sleeping on my chest. Once she got to sleep, I would try putting her down, but she always woke up. Always. Wouldn't go back to sleep. Until one day it finally dawned on me that when she was asleep on my chest, she was belly-down. So everyone's advice aside, I put our sweet Claire on her belly the next day for a nap. And she slept. I think we were both relieved. She's now two and a half, and prefers sleeping on her back! Go figure. God certainly has little Annie in His ever-strong hands. Your story has been such a blessing and encouragement to me over the past few months. And I'm still praying...
Post a Comment