The wife and I were married on August 22nd, 1992 - about three weeks later I went to the humane society and brought home a skinny black cat who we named "Dezi". Dezi has been with us almost as long as we have been with each other.
She, of course, had all the usual cat-like interests but in addition, she loved to sit with her front arms outstretched, love to laze in the sun
and was a true lap-cat. In fact, if you have ever been to our house, you have probably been blessed (or burdened) with her weaseling her way into your lap for a good stroke-session.In recent weeks and months, Dezi had been diagnosed with a weak heart, kidney failure and gum disease (which could not been treated because of the weak heart) along with a handful of mystery ailments such as why she was pulling her hair out in clumps. All of which amounted to "You have an old cat".
Dezi passed away yesterday afternoon.
After collecting ourselves, we said our goodbyes and buried her in the corner of the yard next to best buddy, Sam, whom we had buried 2 years before.
Our neighbor-lady was in her yard watering and when she saw us filling in the hole in the yard, she new immediately and an involuntary "Oh, No!" sprang from her lips - she left us to our moment.We spent the evening on the deck reminiscing about our long-time fur-friend and marvelling at how different life will be without her.
This morning, as I lay in bed in the darkness contemplating getting up, I pushed my ankles together searching for that familiar warm lump in the bed and there was nothing there.
Dezi, you were a good cat, a good friend and a good companion. You will be missed.
4 comments:
Oh BooBoo kitty. You are so loved and were such a good friend. So many fond memories with you, too many to list. Though I am saddened, I am relieved for you that your "old girl" struggles in this life have come to an end and I envision you now frolicking freely with your best buddy Sam, who has been awaiting your arrival in that magical place that only amazing kitties go. Much love, my friend. I will miss you.
We will miss Dezi! Even though I couldn't pet her when she tried to curl up on my lap because of allergies, I always enjoyed seeing her in the Linden home. There is always comfort in those that are familiar (that applies to both people and animals).
Our boys were sad when we told them that Dezi had passed away. Jordan cried. I was comforting him and telling him that everything would be okay, assuming that he was crying becuase he felt so sad for the Linden's as I did. But then he blurted out in the midst of his crying, "But we don't know anyone else who has a cat!" His dad and I couldn't help but laugh a little.
Farewell Sweet Dezi! Always in our hearts. Thank you My Love, for this lovely tribute to her.
Dearest Dezi,
How I enjoyed you and your silly cat ways, obsessive licking and all. You were such a sweet little angel! I will miss you!
With Love, Auntie Kristy
Post a Comment