Monday, September 3, 2012

Fun Run

So my buddy Sean had the idea to hike Cowels Mountain one day to watch the sunrise. Cowles is the highest peak in San Diego County at a little over 1500 feet and I had never hiked it so I was stoked to give it a try in the dark!


We got the trail head around 5am, strapped on our headlamps and headed up.

This is the view of the valley from the top of Cowels:


There is a trail that links Cowels peak to another peak named Piles. I had heard that very few people ever made the extra hike over to Piles so I was all for it. Sean was content to relax and watch the sunrise from Cowels so I struck out on my own to see if I could make it before the sun came up.

There is something exhilarating about running an unfamiliar trail in the dark all by your self and I loved it.

Just before sunrise at Piles Peak:


Looking back at Cowels from Piles peak (Cowels peak is just behind the radio towers):


Clouds blanketing the valley below:


Moon above the valley:


Almost!:




WHAMO!:



It was a blast and I definitely plan on doing it again!


Great idea Sean! Thanks!



http://youtu.be/wHs_XvtulzA