Saturday, April 7, 2012

Fix Your Stick!

I got to talking with a friend last week about how I wanted to get Annie a surfboard. He said he had an old foam board in his garage I could have and so we headed on over the next day. The board he had was a little too short but his neighbors were having a garage sale and there was a beasty 9-footer for sale.

My friend asked his neighbor how much he wanted for it and his neighbor asked, "Who is it for?" I pointed to Annie (who was doing doughnuts in her wheelchair) and the neighbor said "Take it. Its free."

As it turns out, the neighbor works for 9fish and once-upon-a-time volunteered to take some athletes from the Special Olympics out surfing. This board was from that event and now is coming full circle. It's a little worse for wear so yesterday I picked up some epoxy from Home Depot and did the dad-thing.




I have vague plans to add a seat and/or handles for Annie so this is the perfect (free) first-time experimental board. But before I modify it for the wee one, I am actually excited to take it out and try it myself!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I can smell the salt water and feel the breeze already! Handles to hold on would be good, even for old people like me. Is the water still cold?

Michelle & girls