Monday, November 1, 2010

Epcot Confessions


When I was 18 years old, 4 buddies of mine were going to Disney world. They invited me but, being 18, I was broke. They offered to pay for me - I said "Yes".

As we sat on the runway @ LAX, I turned to one of my buddies and explained how take-off was my favorite part . . . he told me to "SHUT THE HELL UP" and then I realized he was afraid to fly . . . . sorta reminds me of this:




We arrived safely, checked into our hotel and that was that.

The next day we explored Epcot (in clockwise fashion)and discovered that you could buy alcohol in each country - Margaritas in Mexico, Sapporo in Japan and so on (only America didn't serve alcohol - don't get me started).

The fact that I was only 18 didn't seem to pose a problem as there was 5 of us and that can amount to a significant bar-tab for a waiter who is willing to play dumb.

We circled the world a couple of times - always ending with crummy Molsen Golden in Canada.

We got caught in a monsoon rainstorm while in "Great Britain" and I found myself asking a British gift-shop worker when she got off work. We agreed to meet at downtown Disney. This is the one and only time I have ever asked out a complete stranger on a date.

We met, we ate, we drank, we did not kiss. She explained that she was actually from GB on a work visa and that when her stint was over at DW, she wanted to travel the states. I told her my buddy and I were renting rooms at a house in So. Cal. and that if she came out, I would show her around LA and Hollywood. And that was that.

6 Months later, I received a call from my Disney Dalliance saying that she would be in town on Thursday and could I pick her up at the train station? I was now living in a studio apartment by myself . . . .

I rented a twin bed for her, picked her up and we spent 4 glorious days together - days spent exploring the city, nights in my studio apartment.

The story ends with her going home to England and me going off to college to study to be a minister.

We talked a few times and then lost touch - but there is a certain shelf in a certain gift shop at Epcot center in Orlando, Florida, where I will always remember the one and only time I got up the gumption to ask a complete stranger on a date . . .

No comments: