Monday, July 13, 2009

Quote of the Day

Mark Breaks the reverie. He is standing beside the right rear fender, which is attached to the box with a semicircle of retaining bolts. "I want to see what it's like under there," he says, patting the fender. "We're gonna hafta puller." Gonna hafta puller is one of my favorite shop phrases. It applies in any circumstance where any mechanical object - the fuel pump, a bad spark plug, or the entire dang engine - requires removal. You say it with a tone of can-do resignation, and it helps if you take a big breath first and then speak like you're hiking your pants or lifting something heavy. I'm telling you, it really puts hair on your chest. I'll stand there sometimes with the hood up, looking into the bowels of the machine, and I'll just suck it up and say, "Yee-up, looks like I'm gonna hafta puller." And I'll reach in and draw that empty inkjet cartridge right outta there.

- from Truck, a Love Story by Michael Perry

Buy The Book - proceeds to benefit ACF

No comments: