The world of American culture and commerce functions like a combination of sponge and sandpaper, absorbing everything and smoothing it down so it slides easily into a designer shopping bag. It's the American free enterprise system at work, and while in general I am a fan, I admit to some grumping while I try to work out exactly where it is that egalitarianism gets tromped by commodification. At what point does the genuine article become frothy? I'm pretty much a live-and-let-live agnostic, but whenever I see churches luring people to their services with puppets and guitars, or these mall churches where they park your car and serve you lattes and let you watch the pastor of your choice on five JumboTrons, I want to say, No, No, No. Church should not be easy. Church should be hard. I have read that in his last days, Jesus Christ fell on his face and sweated blood. The least you can do is sit on a hard pew and squirm some.
- From Truck, a Love Story by Michael Perry
Buy The Book - proceeds to benefit
ACF
No comments:
Post a Comment